IEEE GHTC 2013 INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN
“INSPIRATION: EARTH, HUMANITY, TECHNOLOGY”
”Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.”
Who May Enter
What to Enter
How to Enter
Limitation of Liability
Right to Cancel or Suspend Contest
Sponsor is IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (“Sponsor” or “GHTC 2013″). IEEE is Institute of Electric and Electronics Engineers.
The GHTC 2013 International Humanitarian Photo/Short-Video Contests begin Monday, January 14, 2013 at 9:00:00 a.m. US Pacific Standard Time and ends June 17, 2013, 9:00:00 a.m. US Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) (the “Contests”). Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a skill based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
WHO MAY ENTER
Contests are open only to individuals who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry. Contests are void where prohibited or restricted by law, where a license is required or where subject to tax (other than tax on prizes awarded). GHTC 2013 will determine winners’ eligibility.
WHAT TO ENTER
Each entry must comply with the following requirements (the “Photograph/Short Video Requirements”):
1. The title of the Contests is “Inspiration: Earth, Humanity, Technology”. Winning entries will be those that best present projects, person/people, work, companies, organizations or ideas. Decisions of the judges are final.
2. The maximum number of entries for the Photo Contest is 10 (ten), the maximum number of entries for the Short-Video Contest is 3 (three).
3. Photographs and/or short videos must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2011.
4. Files of photo entries must be submitted in .jpeg format. Files should not be more than 2 Mbs.
5. Cropped photos are eligible to enter the Photo Contest.
6. We accept black and white photos and short videos.
7. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos. Minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustments or the digital equivalents, are acceptable. If our judges determine that anyone has altered a photo or short video entered in the Contest, they reserve the right to disqualify it.
8. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are NOT acceptable.
9. For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must secure a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian and provide it to GHTC 2013 upon request. Any model appearing in a submission should sign the model release before a submission is provided. The model release form is available for download here GHTC 2013 Model Release. The form is in PDF format and requires Adobe Reader to view and print it out. Download free plug-in for Adobe Reader.
10. Photographs/short videos that have won any other contests or have been published in magazines and newspapers (except online) are not eligible. We define winning as having won a grand prize or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall.
11. Short video must be uploaded to both YOUTUBE.COM and VIMEO.COM and links should be submitted.
12. The photograph/short video, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contests, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants 1) that the submitted photograph/short video is an original work created solely by the entrant or, in case if there is a video production team, short video is an original work created solely by that team, 2) that the photograph/short video does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph/short video.
13. The photographs and short videos must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
14. Entrant will continue to own copyright of the entry.
15. The 50 finalists of photo entries and 50 finalists of short-video entries will be asked to submit a high-resolution file for each entry. GHTC 2013 reserves a right to disqualify contestants who are unable to submit, upon request, a high-resolution photo file and/or a high–definition video file of at least 720P.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Each Entry consists of the entry information and file(s) of images and/or link(s) to short video(s).
2. Entry information consists of your name, address, telephone number, email address, photo/short-video caption and a description of no more then 100 words. Please note that we reserve a right to edit the caption and the description of the entries.
3. The maximum number of entries for the Photo Contest is 10 (ten), the maximum number of entries for the Short-Video Contest is 3 (three).
4. There must be one contestant per e-mail address.
5. Submit your entry information by e-mail in a single message to firstname.lastname@example.org , including your name, address, telephone number, email address, photo/short-video caption and a description of no more then 100 words along with a file of your photograph (or files of your photographs) and/or YOUTUBE and VIMEO links of your short video in. Failure to submit full entry information will result in disqualification from the Contests.
6. Entrees must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com by Monday, June 17, 2013, 9:00 a.m. US Pacific Standard Time (“PST”). List of winners will be sent by e-mail to all contestants on or after Monday, July 15, 2013 and announced at Global Humanitarian Technology Conference 2013 October 20-23, 2013.
1. Winning photographs/short videos will be published in GHTC 2013 promotional media (including and not limited to the website and press releases), and viewed at the upcoming conference in Silicon Valley, California USA in October 20-23, 2013.
2. Winning entrants must agree to grant to GHTC 2013 a non-exclusive license to publish and/or view photo/short video and entrant’s name in any medium in connection with the Photo/Short-Video Contests and the Conference, and sign any documentation required by GHTC 2013 to effect or perfect such license. Each winner represents that he or she has all the rights necessary to grant this license.
3. Each winner must agree in writing that his or her name, likeness, city, winning photo/short-video digital file may be used by GHTC 2013 for promotional and publication purposes without additional compensation. Before receiving prizes, each winner will be required 1) to sign a release provided by GHTC 2013 to this effect titled “GHTC 2013 Winner Release” and 2) to obtain a release or permission from anyone with rights in the winning photographs/short videos (such as artwork, trademarks or a person’s likeness). The winner release form is available here GHTC 2013 Winner Release. The form is in PDF format and requires Adobe Reader to view and print it out. Download free plug-in for Adobe Reader. Failure to provide such releases or permissions will result in entrant’s disqualification in this photo/short-video contest, and any prizes will be forfeited.
1. Prizes for photos:
2. Prizes for short videos:
3. All fees and personal expenses incidental to redemption of prizes (as deemed necessary) will be the sole responsibility of the winners.
4. No substitution or transfer of prizes except at the sole discretion of the sponsor. All restrictions apply.
5. Prizes must be claimed within 60 days of the Conference. If not claimed by December 31, 2013 the prizes will be forfeited. All claims thereto following this date will be null and void.
6. Potential winners shall be required to sign and return within ten (10) days following an attempted notification, an Affidavit, Declaration or Certificate of Eligibility, Liability Release, and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and Warranty of Ownership and License in which the entrant warrants that he/she is the owner of the photograph/short video (and all the intellectual property rights in the photograph/short video submitted) and grants to Sponsor the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) in connection with the Conference and/ or the Contests and promotion of the Conference and/or the Contests without additional compensation. Failure to execute and deliver any required documents to Sponsor by the specified deadline may result in disqualification from the Contests, and selection of an alternate potential winner. NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE, WHETHER BY REGULAR MAIL OR BY EMAIL, MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE POTENTIAL WINNER.
7. No prize transfer, assignment, or substitution by winners permitted. If a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable, the Sponsor, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the original prize (or that part of the prize) with an alternative prize to the equal monetary value and/or specification, unless to do so would be prohibited by law.
8. GHTC 2013 reserves the right to cancel any or all of Contests’ prizes should there be any cause beyond the control of GHTC 2013.
All federal, provincial, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTESTS
GHTC 2013 reserves the right to cancel or suspend the Contests should any cause beyond the control of GHTC 2013 affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper operation of the contest, or any other reason it deems appropriate, at its sole and absolute discretion.
Each Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round One, each judge in a panel of photographic/video experts (at least one of whom will be independent of Sponsor) (“Judges”) will select ten (10) photo entries and ten (10) short-video entries from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”): (1) Creativity 50%; (2) Photographic/video quality 50%. The entries selected in Round One will proceed to Round Two. In Round Two, the Judges will collectively select First, Second and Third Place Winners for photo entries and First, Second, and Third Place Winners for short-video entries based on the Judging Criteria.
In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-submitted to the Judges for a re-judging between the tied entries alone. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score for creativity will be declared the winner.
Winners will be chosen on or around Monday, July 15, 2013, and notified by email. Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
By entering the Contests, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to Authorized Parties: IEEE and GHTC 2013 and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents – to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Conference and/or Contests and promotion of the Conference and/or Contests, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: Display at the Conference; publication online highlighting entries or winners of the Contests. Entrants consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries.
Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contests, and pictures or likenesses of Contests entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By entering these Contests, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless IEEE and GHTC 2013 and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their volunteers, employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contests or any Contests-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
IEEE and GHTC 2013 assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contests entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. IEEE and GHTC 2013 are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to in these Contests. Proof of sending will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by IEEE and GHTC 2013.
IEEE and GHTC 2013 reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel or suspend these Contests and award a prize from entries received up to the time of termination or suspension should a virus, bug, hacker or other causes beyond IEEE’s or GHTC 2013’s control, unauthorized human intervention, malfunction, computer problems, phone line or network hardware or software malfunction, which, in the sole opinion of IEEE and GHTC 2013, corrupt, compromise or materially affect the administration, fairness, security or proper play of the Contests or proper submission of entries. IEEE and GHTC 2013 are not liable for any loss, injury or damage caused, whether directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from downloading data or otherwise participating in these Contests.
In the case of entrants who are Australian or U.K. residents, the preceding two clauses do not operate in respect of any implied condition or warranty the exclusion of which from these Official Rules would contravene any Australian or U.K. statute or cause any part of these Official Rules to be void.
THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Entrants agree that these Contests shall be subject to and governed by the laws of State of California and the forum for any dispute shall be in State of California, United States of America. To the extent permitted by law, the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or on connection with these Contests are hereby excluded and any entrant expressly waives any and all such rights. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries shall be void if the Sponsor determines the photograph/short video is not an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
By entering, entrants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final and binding with respect to all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if the entrant wins that Sponsor may use the winning photographs/short videos and each winner’s name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contests or future promotions without compensation or approval (except where prohibited by law). All federal, state/provincial/territorial, and local taxes, fees and surcharges and taxes (whether foreign or domestic, and including income, sales, and import taxes) on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize is/are ineligible, cannot be traced or does/do not respond within ten (10) days to a winner notification as required by the “Contest Prizes” provisions above, or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
The Sponsor reserves the right to verify the validity and originality of any entry and/or entrant (including an entrant’s identity and address) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Official Rules or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
Entrants are responsible for complying with these Official Rules. Winners’ names will be available online at www.ieeeghtc.org on or after Monday, October 21, 2013.
Entrants agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contests and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the entrant’s identity, postal address, and telephone number or to otherwise verify the entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contests. Entrants have the right to access, review, rectify, or cancel any personal data held by Sponsor by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Personal data will be used by Sponsor and its affiliates exclusively for the purposes stated herein.
NOTICE TO INDIVIDUALS: REMOVAL FROM MAILING LIST: Any individual (or other duly authorized person) may elect to exclude the name and address of that individual from all lists used by GHTC 2013 to promote skill contests. To elect to have an individual’s name excluded from all such lists, submit a removal request by e-mail to email@example.com. This notification system may be used to prohibit the promotion of all skill contests by GHTC 2013 to such individual.